Under general administrative direction, this position establishes, manages and implements effective communications and public involvement strategies to provide timely, accurate, and logical information to the community. The Community Engagement Specialist is responsible for overseeing and coordinating citywide communications and messages and facilitating information dissemination, expanding communication resources for outreach to the city and residents using existing and new technology and media. This position must apply a significant degree of initiative and independent judgment. Performs a variety of internal and external communication via content creation and through the dissemination of information via various platforms on behalf of the city.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Assists in the implementation of a variety of marketing and public information tactics.
- Writes and produces content for multi-media and/or media outlets including articles, announcements, advertisements, newsletters, brochures, and special events.
- Contributes and updates external website content as directed.
- Performs public relations duties including, news releases and fielding questions from the media, presentations, tours and requests for information as directed.
- Acts as social media lead and liaison for City’s social media platforms, including responding to comments and messages from the public.
- Receives, investigates, and answers questions from external media and public.
- Photographs community events, ceremonies, and training involving the City of Commerce and associated community partners.
- Continuously evaluate effectiveness of communications campaigns and coordinate ongoing city messaging with clear information to the public.
- Assist other departments with communications strategies.
- In an emergency, serves in the Emergency Operations Center and provides emergency message support.
- Coordinate implementation of the city’s communications plan and link communications initiatives to the City Council’s Strategic Plan and goals.
- Attend, represent and/or coordinate with City Manager’s Office at community functions, community meetings, civic organizations, and governmental groups; prepare and present presentations as necessary regarding city programs.
- Attend conferences, trainings, and other meetings to stay current with successful practices in communications, engagement and learn new skills.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Commerce and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with other city staff, citizens of Commerce, and visitors. Maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information, consistent with City employee ethics training.
- This position may be required to respond after hours, including holidays, weekends, and/or scheduled days off for city events or emergencies.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a high school or GED equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University with a degree in Marketing, Communications or other related field.
- Two (2) or more years of creating internal and external communications and/or social media marketing or similar experience required. Additional experience may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Knowledge of municipal government preferred but not required;
- Photography and photo editing/media producing skills preferred but not required;
- Valid Class C Texas driver license required.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(A) Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures;
(B) Skill and affluence in operation of the equipment and some of the tools listed below;
(C) Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public;
(D) Ability to multi-task in a challenging and sometimes stressful environment;
(E) Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers and the public;
(F) Using a computer and some specialized software applications;
(G) Ability to work safely; ability to learn and retain some knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations,
(H) Familiarity with City policies and procedures;
(I) Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; the ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Must be 18 years of age or older to apply.
Felony convictions and disqualifying criminal histories within the past seven years are not allowed; U.S. citizen; must be able to read and write the English language; must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Software such as Microsoft Office and Adobe; personal computer including word processing software; copy machine; fax machine; and telephone.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work includes sitting, talking, hearing, using hands to touch, handle or feel objects, tools or controls and reaching with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must occasionally push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 20 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually mild to moderate.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
A copy of the City’s Step & Grade/Pay plan regarding compensation can be found online at: https://commercetx.org/open-data/#146-personnel
The City of Commerce offers a competitive benefits package including a contributory retirement plan, medical, dental and vision insurance for City employees paid for 100% by the employer, life and disability insurance, and paid time off.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required; drug screen; final selection and pre-employment medical examination.
NOTE: Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The City of Commerce is an “at will” employer. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Commerce is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
By submitting an application, applicant confirms they have been provided access to a copy of this job description.
|Administration, City Manager's Office
|Assistant City Manager- Community Services