Submit Your Project
To take advantage of the incentives in the Neighborhood Empowerment Zone, you must submit an application before you begin construction. Click the button to download the application.
Most frequent questions and answers
Chapter 378 of the Texas Local Government Code, effective May 1999, authorizes a municipality to create NEZ for the purpose of:
- Promoting the creation or rehabilitation of affordable housing; and
- Promoting economic development; or
- Improving the quality of social services, education, or public safety for the residents of the NEZ
No. The City of Commerce has histrocially offered the HOME Program through the State of Texas. With this program, we are seeking to reduce the costs of your own projects. There are no public funds to be granted for the Neighborhood Empowerment Zone.
The City will accept applications for projects in the Neighborhood Empowerment Zone beginning October 1, 2019.
The NEZ is south of Highway 71/Bishop Street, East of Park Street, and North of Maple Street. The eastern boundary of the NEZ
- follows Mangum Street up to Spruce Street
- Spruce Street to Clark Street
- Clark Street to Chestnust Street
- Chestnust Street to the railroad
- Along the railroad to Sycamore Street
- Follow Sycamore Street to County Road 4513
- County Road 4513 to the railroad
- Along the railroad to 4th Street
- 4th Street to Highway 71/Bishop Street
The Neighborhood Empowerment Zone is outlined in purple on the picture below.
Before you begin work on your project, you will need to complete and submit the NEZ application. You can find that application on this page or in person at City Hall.