The firefighter/EMT protects life and property by performing fire fighting, emergency first aid, rescue, hazardous materials and fire prevention duties. The Firefighter/EMT ensures that all fire equipment, apparatus and facilities are maintained and response ready at all times. The Firefighter/EMT may assist to coordinate, instruct or supervise the work of volunteer firefighters, new recruits, part-time department personnel and other temporary or seasonal employees as assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs firefighting activities including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose, and performing fire combat, containment and extinguishment tasks.
- Performs emergency activities including rescue, administering first aid and providing other assistance as required.
- Participates in fire drills, attends classes in firefighting, hazardous materials, EMS and related subjects.
- Receives and relays fire calls and alarms. Operates radio and other communication equipment.
- Participates in the inspection of buildings, hydrants, and other structures in fire prevention programs.
- Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities. Performs minor repairs to departmental equipment.
- Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of fire facilities and equipment; cleans and washes walls and floors; cares for grounds around station; makes minor repairs; washes, hangs and dries hose; washes, cleans, polishes, maintains and tests apparatus and equipment.
- Assists in developing plans for special assignments such as emergency preparedness, hazardous communications, training programs, firefighting, hazardous materials, and emergency aid activities.
- Presents programs to the community on safety and fire prevention topics.
- Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water, and removing debris.
Assists in department supervisory and administrative activities as assigned.
Assists in supervising volunteer firefighters and other temporary or seasonal employees, as required. Assists in training new full time firefighter/EMT’s, volunteer firefighters and other temporary or seasonal employees as required.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) High school diploma or GED equivalent;
(B) Basic Firefighters Certification from Texas Commission on Fire Protection;
(C) EMT – basic certification from Texas Department of State Health Services.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of firefighting, driver safety, first aid, hazardous materials and rescue;
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing;
- Ability to learn the operation of fire suppression and other emergency fire equipment;
- Ability to learn to apply standard firefighting, emergency first aid, hazardous materials, and fire prevention techniques;
- Ability to perform strenuous or peak physical effort during emergency, training or station maintenance activities for prolonged periods of time under conditions of extreme heights, intense heat, cold or smoke;
- Ability to act effectively in emergency and stressful situations;
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the general public;
- Ability to punctually attend work during normal working hours;
- Ability to comply with city’s drug free work place policy;
- Ability to accept supervision and constructive criticism;
- Ability to meet the special requirements listed below.
- Location: 1103 Sycamore Street, Commerce, Texas 75428 (Commerce Fire Station)
- Written Test Date: August 4, 2020
- Written Test Time: 9:00 AM
- Physical Agility Test: August 4, 2020 (immediately following written test)
- Bring clothes to be used during Physical Agility Test (long pants and closed toe shoes are required)
- Interviews to be scheduled.
Applications are available online only at this time and must be submitted along with copies of current certifications to:
- Commerce City Hall, attn.: Molly Jacobsen, 1119 Alamo Street, Commerce, TX 75428
- Fax: (903)886-8929 or e-mail to email@example.com
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY 4PM July 23, 2020
Must be 18 years or older at the time of employment; Must possess, or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid State of Texas Driver’s License with commercial drivers license endorsement (Class B) without record of suspension or revocation in any state; No felony convictions or disqualifying criminal histories within the past seven years; U.S. citizen; Must be able to read and write the English language; Must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Fire apparatus, fire pumps, hoses, and other standard firefighting equipment, ladders, first aid and rescue equipment, radio, pager, phone, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves standing, walking, using hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reaching with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, hear, taste or smell.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must frequently push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, except during certain firefighting when noise levels may be loud.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Formal application; written examination; physical ability test; oral examination; interview with the Fire Chief; drug screening; background verification and check; final selection; and pre-employment medical examination. Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period.
Note: The City of Commerce is an “at will” employer. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
|Job Category||Fire Department|