Performs a variety of routine clerical, administrative and technical work in receiving and dispatching routine and emergency information; keeping official records; transcribing; and assisting in the administration of the standard operating policies and procedures of the dispatch center. Provides administrative support to the Commerce Police Department.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Monitors telephones and radio in the dispatch center, answers all incoming calls and ascertains nature of call, gathers all necessary information to transmit or relay call to appropriate agency in a timely manner.
- Performs routine clerical and administrative work. Answers phones, receiving the public, providing customer service, data processing and bookkeeping.
- Dispatches police and other response vehicles and personnel for emergency responses; broadcasts the nature, location and time of an incident; contacts all required personnel and other entities in the event of an emergency situation.
- Maintains log on radio and telephone communications, location of personnel and equipment; in the event of an emergency, maintains on-going contact with the responding personnel in a variety of situations and keeps them informed of all incoming pertinent information; keeps track of various information such as traffic lights out and streets closed and keeps emergency personnel informed.
- Maintains dispatch center work area and equipment in clean and working condition.
- Operates radios as needed and assists in radio communications; operates base radio as required.
- Operates listed office machines and equipment as required.
- Inputs data to standard office and department forms, both manual and automated.
- Answers enhanced 911 calls for service and directs caller to proper agency. Dispatches emergency units needed to respond to the type of 911 call received.
- Performs data entry of various collected information into the department and other approved database systems.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Commerce and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with other city staff, citizens of Commerce, and visitors. Maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information, consistent with City employee ethics training.
- This position may be required to respond afterhours, including holidays, weekends, and/or scheduled days off in the event of a city or Department emergency. The work entails shift work, which means employees provide a service around the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Should candidates have scheduling conflicts which would not allow them to work weekends or overnight shifts, candidates need not apply.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Monitors individuals in holding cells for proper conduct, safety, and medical or other needs.
- Assists in training new employees as requested by supervisor.
- Takes money for payments and issues receipts.
- Monitors warning system and alarms.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) Graduation from a high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as typing, filing, accounting or bookkeeping, and
(B) Two (2) years of increasingly responsible related experience preferred, or any equivalent combination of related education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(A) Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures; some knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
(B) Skill and affluence in operation of the equipment and some of the tools listed below;
(C) Ability to perform cashier duties accurately; ability to effectively meet and deal with the public;
(D) Ability to multi-task in a challenging and sometimes stressful environment; and the ability to handle stressful situations without allowing it to impact subsequent encounters with other personnel and the public.
(E) Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers and the public;
(F) Using a computer and some specialized software applications;
(G) Ability to work safely; ability to learn and retain some knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations, including Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) standards;
(H) Familiarity with City policies and procedures;
(I) Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; the ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Must be 18 years of age or older to apply.
Felony convictions and disqualifying criminal histories within the past seven years are not allowed; U.S. citizen; must be able to read and write the English language; must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Communications switchboard, including computer-aided systems; personal computer including word processing software; copy machine; fax machine; telephone, radio and Enhanced 911 (CAD).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work includes sitting, talking, hearing, using hands to touch, handle or feel objects, tools or controls and reaching with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must occasionally push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
A copy of the City’s Step & Grade/Pay plan regarding compensation can be found online at: https://commercetx.org/open-data/#146-personnel
The City of Commerce offers a competitive benefits package including a contributory retirement plan, medical, dental and vision insurance for City employees paid for 100% by the employer, life and disability insurance, and paid time off.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required; drug screen; final selection and pre-employment medical examination. NOTE: Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The City of Commerce is an “at will” employer. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
By submitting an application, candidate agrees that he/she has been provided access to this job description.
|Police Department, Public Safety
|3 : 4