- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by May 7, 2016.
- Must not have been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgement of a court.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- Must have resided continuously in the State of Texas for at least 12 months and within the Commerce City Limits for at least six months.
Filing Period for City Council Election
The filing period for the May 7, 2016 Commerce City Council Election began January 20. Available seats are Mayor, Place 2, currently held by Emma Martin and Place 4, currently held by Sue Davis. Gene Lockhart was appointed by the City Council on November 17, 2015, to fill the vacancy left after the resignation of Mayor John Ballotti. Mayor Pro Tem Richard Hill will continue to act as Mayor until the May election is canvassed. Qualifications that every prospective candidate must meet areas follows: