Performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance and operation of park and recreation buildings, grounds, open spaces and parks.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mows and maintains park and open space areas such as baseball and soccer fields; mows weeds; cleans and maintains courts and nets at city-owned park spaces; maintains sprinkler systems and assists in the repair and installation of sprinkler lines and heads.
- Drags ball fields, lines fields for games.
- Inspects, washes and performs routine maintenance of park drinking fountains and restrooms.
- Sweeps, washes, paints and repairs or replaces park tables and slabs.
- Performs minor semi-skilled interior building maintenance such as painting, plumbing, carpentry, and other unskilled and semi-skilled trades work.
- Performs routine maintenance on lawn and power equipment.
- Plants lawns, trees, shrubs, and flowers.
- Carries out the seeding, fertilization, top dressing, soil conditioning, watering and the pest and weed control of the City’s parks and open spaces.
- Maintains and adjusts specialized turf care equipment and tools, including electric motors, pumps, sprinklers, tractors, and mowers.
- Operates tractors, mowers, jackhammers, welders, trucks, steam cleaners, buffers, washers, and other listed equipment as needed.
- Maintains current skills and knowledge in the proper and safe techniques of building and grounds maintenance functions.
- Performs custodial work such as required and assigned, including: change light bulbs and fluorescent tubes; sweep floors; vacuum carpets; mop; shampoo and steam clean carpets; buff non-carpeted areas; dump garbage and reline cans with liners; clean and sanitize restrooms and replenish supplies; sweep; empty trash cans; clean spills; clean drinking fountains, mirrors, tables, walls, fixtures, blinds, light fixtures, etc; dust furniture; wash windows, walls, metal and woodwork; clean rain gutters; sweep roofs.
- Collects and disposes of solid waste from buildings and grounds; picks up litter from premises.
- Open and closes, locks and unlocks facilities as needed.
- Assists in setting up and taking down equipment for various park and recreation programs, prepares facilities for park and recreation program use.
- Installs and maintains goal posts and nets for sport facilities, including soccer, volleyball, baseball, softball, tennis, track/field and basketball.
- Assists in the construction of new parks facilities, including clearing, grading, drainage and foundation work.
- Assists in the maintenance of public library, city hall, downtown, airport and other city facilities as assigned.
- Keeps records of work completed.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Commerce and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with other city staff, citizens of Commerce, and visitors.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Serves as a member of various employee committees as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and experience to perform the work.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in building and grounds maintenance; Some knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs; Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule; Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time, and to perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions; Ability to communicate orally and in writing; Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely; Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions; Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, and the public.
Employee must have a valid driver’s license.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Pickup truck, lawn and landscaping equipment, including tractors, mowers, aerifier, chainsaw, edgers, weed trimmers, electric motors, pumps, sprinklers, miscellaneous hand and power tools for turf maintenance, carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical and cement finishing work; janitorial equipment including floor buffers, steam cleaner, carpet cleaners, washers, vacuums, mops, brooms, and dusting equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves standing, using hands to manipulate, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and repetitive reaching with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, talk, hear, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and smell.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee may frequently push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds, and occasionally exert force while pushing, pulling, lifting and/or carrying up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works in high, precarious places and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required; drug screen; final selection and pre-employment medical examination. NOTE: Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period which will last for six (6) months. Appointees have access to paid, vacation time following the completion of their probationary period. Appointees have access to health, vision and dental insurance benefits on the first of the month following the first full month of employment.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The City of Commerce is an “at will” employer. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The City of Commerce is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
By submitting this application, candidate certifies that they have been provided access to this job description.
|Job Category||Parks & Recreation|
|Reports To||Building & Grounds Superintendent|