Performs a variety of routine and complex clerical, secretarial and administrative work in keeping official records, providing administrative support to City Staff, and assisting in the administration of the standard operating policies and procedures of the department.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Performs routine clerical and administrative work in answering phones, receiving the public, providing customer assistance, data processing and bookkeeping.
- Answers incoming calls and routes callers or provides information as required.
- Receives the public and answers questions; responds to inquiries from employees, citizens and others and refers, when necessary, to appropriate persons.
- Assists in the procurement of department materials and supplies.
- Composes, types and edits variety of correspondence, reports memoranda, and other material requiring judgment as to content, accuracy, and completeness.
- Plans conference and training sessions for staff within the department.
- Acts as custodian of departmental documents and records. Establishes and maintains filing systems, control records and indexes using moderate independent judgment.
- Attends after-hour meetings and creates agendas and records minutes for the Planning and Zoning Commission, Airport Advisory Board, Building Standards Commission and Board of Adjustment.
- Issues and collects fees for building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, health, planning and zoning, and Board of Adjustment permits.
- Schedules appointments and performs other administrative and clerical duties.
- Assists members of the public, contractors, and other visitors with any issues related to development within the City of Commerce.
- Promotes and maintains professional contact with the public, court officials, and other city officials or personnel regarding the performance of police activities as assigned.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Commerce and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with other city staff, citizens of Commerce, and visitors.
- Maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information, consistent with City employee ethics training.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Two (2) years of increasingly responsible related experience
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment
- Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; Ability to handle stressful situations.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Phone; personal computer including word processing and database software; motor vehicle; mobile or portable radio; electrical tester; copy & fax machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves sitting, talking, hearing, using hands to finger, handle and feel objects and reaching with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must occasionally push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
A copy of the City’s Step & Grade/Pay plan regarding compensation can be found online at: https://commercetx.org/open-data/#146-personnel
The City of Commerce offers a competitive benefits package including a contributory retirement plan, medical, dental and vision insurance for City employees paid for 100% by the employer, life and disability insurance, and paid time off.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required; drug screen; final selection and pre-employment medical examination. NOTE: Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The City of Commerce is an “at will” employer. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The City of Commerce is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
|Job Category||Community Development, Infrastructure & Development|
|Reports To||Assistant Director of Community Development|