Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled technical and maintenance work in the operation, maintenance and repair of water treatment facilities and systems within the City of Commerce.
Job duties may vary dependent upon job assignment and skill level.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with the general operation of water treatment plant (WTP) facilities and equipment; performs work in accordance with all quality standards, safety regulations and procedures.
- Monitors the performance of all equipment, gauges and charts in the treatment plant and pump stations; records statistical data concerning plant operations; maintains, operates, repairs and replaces equipment as necessary; charts lab test results for trend analysis and maintains accurate records of analyses and test results; evaluates data and writes reports as required.
- Operates, maintains and repairs malfunctions at the water treatment plant; repairs gauges, pumps, filters and other controls and equipment.
- Collects samples and identifies concentrations of chemical, physical or biological characteristics of water required in accordance with local, state and federal requirements; gathers and tests water samples for plant efficiency reports as required.
- Performs quality control tests on lab equipment and lab analyses; evaluates procedures and results for accuracy and determines appropriate methods.
- Assures that plant operates within required standards.
- Calibrates, modifies or repairs instrumentation and control equipment including recorders, flowmeter and other water quality monitoring equipment.
- Operates and maintains water pump stations; cleans wet wells and operates pumps and valves to control and adjust flow and treatment process.
- Maintains drawings and schematics of electrical and other systems within the treatment plant as directed.
- Monitors the routine performance of electrical systems, circuits and equipment within the water treatment plant.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Commerce and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with other city staff, citizens of Commerce, and visitors. Maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information, consistent with City employee ethics training.
- This position may be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a city or Department emergency. The work entails shift work, which means employees provide a service around the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Should candidates have scheduling conflicts which would not allow them to work weekends or overnight shifts, candidates need not apply.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill and affluence in operation of the equipment;
- Reading and interpreting gauges and recording devices;
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers and the public;
- Using a computer and some specialized software applications;
- Ability to work safely; knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations governing water plant operations; including Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) standards;
- Following and maintaining safety standards; OSHA safety rules and regulations within utility plant environments;
- Familiarity with City policies and procedures;
- Ability to perform basic, process control calculations;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; the ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Must have a valid driver license or the ability to obtain one by date of hire. Driving is an essential function of the job. The suspension or revocation of a driver license during employment may result in termination of employment.
The ability to obtain at least a Class D certification as a Water Treatment Plant Operator or the ability to obtain one within one (1) year after hire. The inability to obtain this certification within one (1) year of hire may result in automatic termination of employment.
The ability to obtain a Class C Surface Water License within three (3) years from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is required. The inability to obtain this certification within three (3) years of hire may result in termination of employment.
Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not listed under essential duties but is a critical function to operations of the City’s Water Treatment Plant. Consistent, unplanned and unexcused absences may result in termination of employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves standing, using hands to manipulate, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and repetitive reaching with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, talk, hear, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and smell.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee may frequently push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds, and occasionally exert force while pushing, pulling, lifting and/or carrying up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in a variety of outside weather conditions. Some of these weather conditions can be extreme. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or extreme heat, humid or cold conditions. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock and vibration(s). The employee is frequently exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The City provides the proper protective clothing and equipment to prevent direct, prolonged or unsafe contact with these chemicals but exposure is still possible.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately loud.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required; drug screen; final selection and pre-employment medical examination. NOTE: Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period which will last for six (6) months. Appointees have access to paid, vacation time following the completion of their probationary period. Appointees have access to health, vision and dental insurance benefits on the first of the month following the first full month of employment.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The City of Commerce is an “at will” employer. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Commerce is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
By submitting an application, you certify that you have read, understand and been given access to a copy of this job description.
|Job Category||Water Treatment|
|Reports To||Utility Plant Supervisor|
|Pay Grade/Step:||1: 4-7|