Performs a variety of unskilled or semi skilled maintenance work, and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of City water, sewer, street, and storm drainage facilities and systems.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Inspects and/or repairs meters, streets, drainage systems and sewer system at frequent intervals to insure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
2. Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activity, water supply, consumption, etc.
3. Determines the locations of gas, telephone, power, television, water and sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
4. Responds to complaints regarding water leaks, pressure loss or no water; evaluates situation; reports findings to supervisor.
5. Contacts residents and business owners in area where services will be discontinued and explains when services will be shut off and how soon it will be turned back on.
6. Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
7. Drives trucks of various sizes and weights and assists in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel and sand.
8. Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor; cleans equipment.
9. Understands all company policies and performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
10. Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, manhole and line cleaning, main and pipe repair, laying and backfilling.
11. Cuts, fits, lays, repairs, taps, cleans and flushes water mains, pipe, gates and fittings on repair of mains and services and installation of services, fire hydrants and drinking fountains; assists in shutting off broken sections of water mains.
12. Services water supply, sewer lift and other pumps.
13. Maintains and repairs facility structures, walk ways and road ways.
14. Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in the water, sewer and street department.
15. Performs office furniture, window, door and hardware repairs. Repairs floor and wall coverings.
16. Responds to and provides service follow-up and feedback to customers on all work orders while maintaining compliance with codes, regulations and the industry standard.
17. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Serves on various employee or other committees as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent, and
(B) Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(A) Some knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities; and
(B) Skill in operation of some of the listed tools and equipment; and
(C) Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time; ability to work safely; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public; ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Must have a valid driver’s license and CDL certification, or ability to obtain one. Will be required to obtain a Grade D Distribution and a Class I Wastewater Collection within one year of hire.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, propane kettle, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone, ditch witch.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves standing, talking, hearing, using hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reaching with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and smell.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must frequently push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds and occasionally push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required; drug screen; final selection and pre-employment medical examination. NOTE: Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
|Job Category||Public Works|
|Reports To||Street Maintenance Foreman |
|Pay Grade||01 |