Works with minimal supervision to perform a variety of routine and complex work to include the review of plats, site plans, and building permit submittals as well as on-site inspections to ensure that residential and commercial construction and existing buildings are in compliance with applicable codes and ordinances, and perform related work as required.
Job duties may vary dependent upon job assignment and skill level.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the in-office review of plats, site plans, and building permit submittals to ensure compliance with all relevant building codes, zoning requirements, and special ordinance provisions.
- Conducts field inspections of ongoing construction and existing structures to ensure compliance with all applicable building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, zoning, floodplain, fence, and abatement of dangerous building ordinances and codes.
- Meets with owners, tenants, contractors, developers, businesses, etc. to review and explain code requirements and violations or potential violations, secures code compliance.
- As assigned, drafts and distributes a variety of correspondence, memoranda, notices, flyers, brochures, media releases and reports relating to building inspection issues and actions.
- Maintains a variety of logs and records related to inspection activities, prepares recommendations for amendments and additions to codes or regulations that relate to the position.
- Performs residential rental property inspections, examining for compliance with the minimum housing standards.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of national, regional, and city building codes and associated regulations.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Commerce and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with other city staff, citizens of Commerce, and visitors.
- Maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information, consistent with City employee ethics training.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Knowledge: Knowledge of the applicable codes, ordinances, and regulations regarding the building industry; knowledge of the methods, materials, and workmanship standards governing the installation and modification of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems; knowledge of current developments in the building industry. Knowledge of Microsoft Office preferred. Experience with MyGov software, or a system similar, is not required but preferred.
Skills: strong communication skills, both written and oral; skill in basic construction measurements and documentation; skill to review and understand standard construction drawings and plans; skill to recognize deviations in design of and materials used in actual installation from requirements in written plans, specifications, and codes.
Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, property owners, and contractors; ability to plan and monitor assigned activities; ability to make effective use of time; ability to identify and correct potential safety hazards; ability to analyze complex situations, problems and data and use sound judgment in drawing conclusions and making decisions; Ability to handle stressful situations and effectively deal with difficult or angry people.
Education: High School graduate or GED equivalent
Experience: A minimum of five years in the construction industry or building inspection services. Any work-related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above required knowledge, skills, and abilities is acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
License and/or Certifications:
- Must have a valid class C driver license or the ability to obtain one by date of hire. Driving is an essential function of the job. The suspension or revocation of a driver license during employment may result in termination of employment.
Building Inspector I:
- Ability to obtain a TSBPE Plumbing Inspector License within 12 months
- Ability to obtain ICC Residential or Commercial Inspector certifications within 12 months
Building Inspector II:
- TSBPE Plumbing Inspector License
- ICC Residential and/or Commercial Inspector certifications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed mostly in field settings. Considerable outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land uses and other matters. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
Work involves standing, walking, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel and operate objects, tools, and controls, and reaching with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Vision requirements for this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee may be required to push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee often works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
A copy of the City’s Step & Grade/Pay plan regarding compensation can be found online at: https://commercetx.org/open-data/#146-personnel
The City of Commerce offers a competitive benefits package including a contributory retirement plan, medical, dental and vision insurance for City employees paid for 100% by the employer, life and disability insurance, and paid time off.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required; drug screen; final selection and pre-employment medical examination. NOTE: Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period which will last for six (6) months. Appointees have access to paid, vacation time following the completion of their probationary period. Appointees have access to health, vision and dental insurance benefits on the first of the month following the first full month of employment.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The City of Commerce is an “at will” employer. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Commerce is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
By submitting an application for this position, I certify that I have access to a copy of this job description and I understand that the above is expected of me should I be selected to fulfill this position.
|Job Category||Community Development, Infrastructure & Development|
|Reports To||City Manager|