Must be at least 21-years-old United States Citizenship
High School Graduate or GED
Valid Texas Driver’s License
No felony convictions
Vision at least 20/200 corrected to 20/20 TCLOSE Certified
- Convicted or under indictment for a felony or an offense involving moral turpitude
- Member of an organization, which advocates the overthrow of our government by force
- Dishonorably discharged from any branch of the armed services of the United States or with a discharge less than honorable
- Habitual traffic violator
- Makes any false statement of fact or commits any act of deception in the application, examination or appointment process
- Addicted to the habitual use of intoxicating beverages or drugs
PLEASE NOTE: Applications are only accepted when there is an opening.
Each applicant must successfully complete the following:
- Preliminary Application Review
- Entrance Exam
- Applicant Interview Board
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Evaluation (as deemed necessary either by TCLEOSE rules or discretion of the Chief)
- Drug Screen and Medical Evaluation, per City Policy
All applicants who successfully complete the hiring process must be either certified or capable of being certified by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education by your start date. Once you are hired, you will be immediately sworn in as officers and begin a fourteen (14) week Field Training Program with a Field Training Officer.
Commerce Police Department is unable to hire for sworn positions if you are not currently certified.
NOTE: Applications are only accepted when there is a vacancy in the Police Department.